Common suit alterations - what tailors can actually do
A tailor is not a miracle worker and there are only a few set common alterations a tailor will be able to make to your ready-to-wear suits. Here they are:
- Shortening suit-jacket sleeves
- Hemming pants to make them shorter
- Adding or removing pant cuffs
- Slimming the arms or sides of a suit jacket
- Slimming the rear and legs of the pants
- Adding darts to make a dress shirt fit slimmer and shortening the cuffs
The three most important terms to know are:
Let it out: You want more fabric here
Take it in: You want less fabric so it fits closer to the body
Break: how your pants will drape over your shoes
In order to have a suit that fits, my advice is that you directly order a made-to-measure suit or if you can afford to pay more, you can buy a bespoke suit.
Hits: 4671 | Leave a comment
About the Author
We are looking for men's suit tailors, fashion designers, managers, fashion consultants who want to share their knowledge and tips in an article or video and contribute to the site! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Don't miss the opportunity as this will be a free advertisement for yourself and your menswear brand!